Thursday, July 28, 2011

My back-up hard drive, 1Terabyte LaCie fried

In a state of shock. My LaCie 1T external hard drive is dead, fried, the data irretrievable (in my budget range), and it was my back-up. I've lost all of my original files for video poems, Final Cut files, Garageband files, Photoshop files, music, I am too numb to remember everything that was on that dear drive.

My cheap drives are all doing fine. Maybe a message in that?

I have it in to a repair shop. The drive, even in another casing, attached to another computer, is not turning. Dead. Like, in the spirit world. Likely the data is still on it, but unaccessible. It would cost a lot to retrieve it (and that shop doesn't offer that service).

And I nearly did Backblaze a few months ago, or CrashPlan, I can't remember, but I am an anti-credit card type, and they don't accept any options to pay cash.

C'est la vie. I've lost so much stuff over the years as computers have died or I've moved and lost all my emails with a service provider, so....

On with the new.

4 comments:

  1. that is distressing... i lost two journals when i relocated back from the west coast, hand made, hand bound by me for when my grandchildren's children wonder who they came from and it left a hole in me for a while but maybe they did someone somewhere some good? maybe you could time capsule that hard drive for the next century? hope these creations find their way back to you somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind and understanding comment. And for sharing your loss.

    How sad, .... oh! To lose such treasures. I wonder if you had written your name and email address and phone number into those books?

    And then, maybe, they came into the hands of someone or a family to whom they meant a lot. Perhaps the caring and love you put into them helped to transform those lives.

    You are, after all, the only blogger on Blogger with the occupation of metamorph. :)

    I'm still tabulating my loss, but then again, I had run out of disc space, and now I'll buy a cheap 1TB HDD and be able to continue with my video projects. The data on the LaCie is probably intact, just very expensive to retrieve ($1,000. quoted). So we'll see, luck may appear and a computer student or a deal or who knows...

    Everything is temporary, impermanent anyhow. Just... on with the show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel your pain, too. earlier this spring my ext HD died, but it was just the case that needed to be replaced. panic morphed into gratitude. i like your attitude, brenda. keep visualizing that computer student needing some experience...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sue, for your kindly comment. I'm glad you came by. And glad your ext HDD data was retrievable. Sometimes it isn't. We all know the consequences of not having back-up. Yes... I think something will come about in the next year or two to enable me to retrieve the 25 video poem footage and Final Cut files that I've lost.

    ReplyDelete

A Pulsing Imagination - Ray Clews' Paintings

A video of some of my late brother Ray's paintings and poems I wrote for them. Direct link: https://youtu.be/V8iZyORoU9E ___