Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Night of an Electrical Storm of Rain

I purchased an air conditioner, but taking out the screen and the glass and the window frame was an unbearable task and it was returned. What I'd like is an indoor air conditioner, which will have to await funds.

Oppressing each sweating skin cell, the undersides of one's hair continually damp, this is how it is in the heat.

I can only wear a loose cotton dress with my long hair tied up; shorts or pants suffocate.

Place the small fan on a pedestal over the screen of my bedroom window to get a little cooler air. With a wall of windows facing West on the second floor without tree cover, the apartment is an oven. Like anything steamed, we wilt.

Though I like the heat, it must be 40oC! I bring home a large fan and hang it in the front room with string since there is no window ledge, and the beating of air through the paddles of the fan helps.

No-one wants to cook, my son goes to work and my daughter and I go out for Sushi.

The thick clouds have an underside of glimmering red like tropical fish chased by a shark. An anvil of clouds are upon us in the middle of the night and lightning like white veins slice the sky and rain beats on the new fan spraying the room.

In my room, which faces East, I remove the screen. It is fresh outside, and cool. I lean out to breathe the cooler air. The CN Tower's lights are flashing strongly, mesmerizing with the glow of red, then white, then green up the length of the concrete pin. Nothing else is visible on the skyline from where I am downtown.

The sound of heavy rain falling on leaves and rocks, the large tree in my bit of land out back and the pebbles that cover an adjacent parking lot. It's a luscious sound. Water hitting the earth. This bridal veil of rain. Drenching richness. How long do I stand alone in the darkness, in my white cotton nightdress, by the open window, leaning out, breathing rain-filled air?

I sleep finally lightly and wake a few hours later at dawn.

I wake loving the world, as I always do.

2 comments:

  1. have you looked for a portable "inside" A/C? these units are on wheels and can move from room to room, but the way they are installed usually means you would not want to do that. (you would have to prepare windows in each room to accommodate the installation. it is not difficult, just time consuming.) you can always use a security stick to insure your safety since you have to keep a window partially open for the A/C hose. the rest of the opened window should be closed off to keep the cool air inside. the one i saw had a piece of plexi glass cut for the space in the window, and the residents secured the window (which opened from side to side) with a security "stick" in the runner of the window. it was so tightly positioned no one could open the window. there is a tray in the bottom of the machine which collects the condensation and must be emptied each day. i have seen one work, and it cooled fabulously! it only cooled one room, however. if you had 2 rooms within a rather small space where you could close off all but the two rooms, it might cool 2 rooms with a fan to disperse the cool air from room to room because it did get really cold. i am sure these are purchased based on the size of space you want to cool. seems like they said theirs was about $300. but since it can be moved from place to place with relative ease it is clearly a long term investment for comfort in any housing you choose to live.

    we live in an area where most people do not have A/C since our climate is very temperate. we only have about a week of "hot" weather each summer. the rest of the days are in the mid 70s to mid 80s and nights are in the low to mid 60s. nevertheless, since i come from the hot and humid south, i would be nuts without A/C so we were fortunate to find a home here which already had central heating and air.

    i think it is worth the expense and the easy installation. trying to rest comfortably on hot nights is just impossible!

    good luck, brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet, Sky. Yes, I have checked into indoor portable air conditioners and had planned to purchase one this Summer but was recently laid off and so all major purchases have ground to a halt. I did buy some in-window fans for about half of the regular price at a dollar store and they've been amazing in comparison to before. Recently our weather turned cool, so it's not been a problem. But when the heat comes back - oh! I'd even checked different stores for the plexiglass, finding a wide price divergence. You think like I do! Thanks so much... xo

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...