Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Reading Writhing Letters

When the letters began curling like tiny writhing black snakes on the page,
I lost
the ability to read.
The letters floated somewhere between the paper and my eyes, hovered, hallucinatory, unreadable, and I couldn't catch them or make them form words or sentences through I knew coherency was there, below the

writhing floating
if I could just
make them sit
still.
When it came back, focus, and the words stayed on the page, I read a book a day and didn't stop for 15 years.

I gluttonized on words, gorged.

I pushed myself through tome after tome, hour after hour; I let books open other books; I kept ledgers of copious notes, and dozens of journals.

I read all night. I read with urgency, as if my life depended on it. All of the classics, the 'great' books, 'great' writers, 'great' thinkers. Did I waste my youth reading Plato and Aristotle, Augustine and Aquinas, Bacon and Shakespeare?

It's all fleeting.

But when the words stayed still, lying in neat rows on the pages, I raced through them. Who knew how long I had?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:01 PM

    There is a deep poignancy to this piece. The reader, the writer~one who cannot absorb or spill the words rapidly enough for fear of what might be lost in a moment's hesitation.

    Wow~

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make us feel like we have lost out deeply by allowing ourselves to sleep while you gorged yourself on the imaginations of our world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a true story. In my late teens, quite seriously depressed, not sleeping ever more than a few hours a night, terrible relationship with my mother, close to 'massive breakdown' as my social worker told my Dad who then allowed me to move out on my own, I could no longer 'read.' Words floated off the page, the way they might in a dream, and were unreadable. When it came back, when words stayed on the page and were readable and comprehensible again, I did read like a mad fiend for years and years, and took copious notes, because words could have started floating again couldn't they?

    No, I've never experienced depression again, not even post-partum depression, nor have words floated above the books they were written in like that again.

    Kick in the butt so many years ago? Maybe--- :-)

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...