Thursday, October 12, 2006

On the Beach

I worked 7 hours in an office without a break (my choice), and it was mostly busy, and then a crammed transit ride and 2 more hours of tutoring my remaining Korean student, and this little piece got written somehow in between it all, oh and begun yesterday at a cafe but interrupted by my arriving daughter. It's a bit garbled, at least it reads so to me. Perhaps tomorrow I shall expand it so it is closer to the scene I imagined - just some days don't allow you the time, and who knows what happens to the tenor and rawness of the images that come flowing out on such days (days of work for which one is grateful, too).



Images collect on the beach like polished pebbles, smooth glass baubles, tangles of fishing wire, water-logged boots, seaweed, shells translucent and sometimes chipped, mollusks and sea urchins, dead, cadaverous detritus, swollen along the glimmering band of sand.

I am sure I will see her on her seawalks. That she will be dressed in a long black skirt and gazing out to sea, grief on her slightly wetted face from the spray of the water on the rocks that she stands on, and something indefinable, lit from within, but subtle, like sunset spilling out of her eyes.

But I don't. The coast is empty.

I am not sure who I am.

Me, her, or you, or a transfigured archetype,
a Medusa-lady, the curls in my hair tightly coiled in the salt spray,
an image-maker.

I watch blue dancers leap and fall into disappearing bubbles of sea foam.

You are the edge of the waves that tip over. When the peak cannot hold itself aloft and falls like a dancer letting go of taut tension and plunging. Or perhaps it is words that fall into froth.

If we are standing at a shore of words that encase the earth like the oceans, that is.

Let me bathe in your words; let me drink them into my being; let our vision be as infinite as the sky-line.

Am I in love with you, and who?

Are you my unbidden,
holy muse.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:48 AM

    It is not garbled as I read it~it is stunning in its' visual; in its' voice.

    Does not the Muse reside in the Holy Ether~and does not the soul of the Artist ponder, indeed tremble, before her urgency? She, who can make a day an utter torment awaiting, or deprived of, her companionship?

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the frustrations of trying to be creative while being un-relatedly busy. Whether it is good or bad the scrambled signals in our brain make it hard to see, read, remember, judge what we've put down...

    All that said, I'm thrilled with how the images and emotions you are invoking are tumbling together. it is a powerful cascade that - I surely suspect - will carry you much further downstream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurieglynn, and Narrator, thank you... thank you both. The moment of inspiration for this piece, alas, passed and I didn't get it all down, and like a dream that you didn't quite recall from the night, it's gone.

    But what 'disappeared' will come up in other ways in the writing, I'm sure.

    One of the themes of this 'book,' if I can call it that, is the muse.

    What, where, how, why.

    We'll surely find out more as we trail after our muses... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...