Saturday, September 30, 2006

A Blog Recommendation

John Baker recently interviewed a writer who I admire a great deal, and who has become a personal friend: Five Questions: The Narrator.

Ira Socol, whose work I've been reading for over two years now, is one of the best writers I've found who is posting on the NET. Stylistically, his work is nearly perfect and continually astounds me. He manages, through action, memory, description to convey complex situations and characters. One doesn't get a sense of judgment of the characters in these often complex situations by the narrator of the piece, nor any of the self-aggrandizing or moralizing that is rife in the blogosphere, only compassion. He writes perhaps a kind of 'film noir' prose and his writing, without a word of excess, seems always to overflow into poetry. Despite posting rough drafts for a book, his posts are encapsulated and complete in themselves - knowing the broader sweep helps, but it's not necessary.

While it is wonderful of him to include my blog among his 'most read,' his site is one of the best in the blogosphere and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the introduction, Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee Brenda. Thank you. Don't know what to say...

    I learn so much here. Get so inspired here. And meet great writers here. So, of course I wanted to send people here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do that enough, talk about the writers I most enjoy, and learn the most from. In a community of often very strange silences and silencings, I appreciated the link, what can I say? I hope my comments on your site, your writing, sat well enough with you.

    ReplyDelete

A Pulsing Imagination - Ray Clews' Paintings

A video of some of my late brother Ray's paintings and poems I wrote for them. Direct link: https://youtu.be/V8iZyORoU9E ___