Friday, July 07, 2006

Almost there... Updated below, a sketch now...

One more day and then Sparky's Self-Portrait Marathon is over, and what a month it's been! As I'd been planning, I took some photos of "dancing." But seem unable, so far, to use them as inspiration for a painting. I stare at the blank canvas, this time larger, 22" x 28", draw some lines, erase. I know that the paint won't be dry enough by tomorrow to 'finish' anything that might happen today, and so then I consider entering the last set of 'dancing photos' and letting it go at that.

Only one of the reasons I started blogging was to deal with an incessant writer's block, and painter's block. It's been the most terrific remedy, too.

So paint I must.

It made me laugh, but someone said that my 'self portrait' photographs were way better than my paintings!

Now, don't ya know, the lawd made cameras to free up artists from havin' to represent the world representationally. Oh, they can do it if they want, but they don't have to no more!

But it's having an effect, all this honesty. People still prefer what "looks like" to an interpretation that becomes another kind of "looking like..." And how I've wished I could prop up a mirror where my workplace is and do one from life, but money went into paint, the latter seeming more of a priority.

In the midst of all this, naturally crisis arises, and the moving company threatens to auction or throw out my household goods because they discovered they can get three times what I'm paying for the space my items take up. So a new apartment search is on, reading classified ads till I can't see straight between paint brush strokes and blog reading. Just now PS-Storage has called to let me know the size storage I need is available and if a suitable apartment in this area doesn't emerge over the weekend, my brothers and son and I hopefully will be moving our stuff downtown. The storage is within walking distance; it'll be good to have access to my household again. All the books will have to come into this tiny basement apartment, though...

I look at the blank canvas, sigh, pick up a pencil... we'll see what, if anything, emerges.

Sometimes, it's just DIVE.

__________

Later, well, it is white canvas board, and I took the photo in direct sun, but the whites don't want to show.

Don't know how much of a self-portrait it'll be, in the traditional sense, but at least there's something to guide the paint now...

After meditating, and walking Keesha (my dog), more diving... see you later!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your apartment search Brenda! I wish I could help you...I could if you ever wanted to move to Atlanta, Georgia or Medford, Oregon.

    Can't wait to see what you do with this delicious blank canvas...mmmm the posibilities. By the way, I loved your colorful hair painted in your last portrait. I love to see how other people depict long hair, it's very interesting how different everyone sees things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Crisis produces transcendance" was the first thought that came to me when I saw the drawing. A wonderful unfolding, and also an homage.

    My home computer has become ornery, so I hope to catch up more later (the library computers are shutting down in 5 minutes). I'll come back when I can.... Keeping my fingers crossed on the apartment search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ester, what's nice about finding reasonable local storage is that I'm not pressured into finding a place right away. Where I am is too small, but otherwise alright. Oh, how I would love to move south to warmth! I was thinking of you today walking in your new white skirt and with your new purse... :)

    Thanks about the hair - I thought that one rather "snake goddess/Medusa"... at least it is more so here, where the colours are brighter than they are on screen. How artists depict hair is interesting, I agree!

    e-journeys, it must be so frustrating to have a computer that's become ornery! Using the library, while we're all very grateful for it when we need it, is nothing like using our own computers at home. I hope you get it sorted out soon!

    "Crisis produces transcendance" - oh, I wish. It's almost 2am and I'm not happy with my evening's painting. But that's the way it always is at first. They always take some getting used to.

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...