Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The last post, on Core Values

I am surprised that my last post garnered not one comment. My site meter showed a healthy number of readers. I wonder what the problem was? And I wonder if I should consider it for the upcoming conference on the ethics of care; I worry, as ever. Writing always has to be poised, somewhere where it doesn't slip over the edge nor is too cliched, conventional.

Of the last piece, I could say, 'You can take the woman out of the Third World, but you can't take the Third World out of the woman."

Although it takes place in this culture, perhaps it's too alien to this culture? Too Africa or India or South American or ...

In that piece I aligned with probably 70% of the mothers of the world. Who do live in poverty, who do hold their families together in often impoverished conditions, who have a strength beyond reckoning if you really think about it.

I'd still like some comments, a discussion of any sort, encouragement, criticism, attack, it doesn't matter. Silence is the hardest of all. What does the silence mean?

Really bad writing? Way too whatever? Someone tell me!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Brenda, I'm sorry! It only meant I was really really busy yesterday and couldn't quickly formulate my thoughts.

    This post troubled me in that I am still trying not to worry about how you are doing.

    But as to the writing. I think this does make a strong statement. If you were in the US, I'd be ranting about our health care system. This makes me realize I don't know enough about the Canadian system to speak to it. It is interesting to me the way you tend to draw from the specific to the general .. I think I do the opposite — tend to get very specific, and pare everything down to the essential detail. Two different approaches, I think, to accessing universality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mb, please don't worry about me! Some of it is autobiographical, some of it is pure fiction. And this section, which I spent a day editing, was written last August, a long time ago. It's inbetween poetic pieces. None of what's in it is returned to again in The Move. Just a moment in the flux of life...

    Ken, that's what I suspected... that it doesn't read smoothly or easily, that I'm trying to do too much in it, conflate some of my theories on woman's body with a smattering of feminist theory and some left wing politics, though I had hoped that the emotional intensity would hold it all together, though even there I thought it perhaps too melodramatic and bordering on the didactic.

    Thank you both!!! So very much!

    ReplyDelete

A Pulsing Imagination - Ray Clews' Paintings

A video of some of my late brother Ray's paintings and poems I wrote for them. Direct link: https://youtu.be/V8iZyORoU9E ___