Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Two Black Plumes

Among Christmas gifts were watercolour pencils. This is my first "attempt," and it's a throw-away sketch from a lifedrawing session last Summer (not what I would draw if I were drawing a "Drawing" if you know what I mean). Then again, maybe it is. Don't ask me about the pubic hair, please! Why did I draw it practically up to the navel in both sketches? Ink is unforgiveable, too.

It's called, "Two Black Plumes," 8"x10", india ink, watercolour pencil on paper, 2005. I apologize for the graininess of the writing, it's taken with my video camera; when my digital camera is fixed, I'll re-shoot it.

Do we know the body at all? Or only our constructions of it, our representations/self-representations...

5 comments:

  1. Well, I don't know about the pubic hair, either? But I love the way you used color to highlight, shape, and shadow the forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the pubic hair in these drawings shows the power of non-verisimilitude (if there is such a word). It's especially meaningful because it departs from the literal and makes us ask why. It's the touch of the extraordinary, almost the unearthly -- while at the same time as earthly as anything can get, of course -- in these drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sensuality in these! The pubic hair is like a gateway, a rebirth.

    I have in my studio a sketch that Mary did of me, that shows what looks like pubic hair (I was clothed; her intent had been for it to be shadow). I had it up in my office at my former employer, with a small Post-It note "fig leaf" -- but at home it shows its full glory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:51 AM

    Your sketchings always flow~like images under clear water~cascading~captivating

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. richard, I lost my original reponse, which I assure you was more measured, citing references to a Tibetan Buddha, Yeshe Tsogyal, through whose generative organs enlightenment could occur for the male suppliant, all I can think of today, still chuckling over "non-verisimilitude," is perhaps they're strutting it.

    mb, I no longer mind those plumes of pubic hair, feeling there's something showy about it, and afterall, why not flaunt it? :chuckles:

    e_journeys, yes, that sense of gateway, of rebirth through the, ahem, generative organs, the womb of existence. Maybe they each need a post-it fig leaf? :chuckles some more: (And I do like that sketch that Mary did, thank you for posting it.)

    laurieglynn, thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...