Monday, January 23, 2006

Elections...

It is election day here, National ones. Because I haven't done last year's tax return yet, and so haven't informed the government of my new address, I wasn't on the voter's list. But my landlord told me all I needed was proof of address and something with a signature, so I took a bank statement and my passport. With my dog in tow, I took my place in the cardboard booth and, whew, voted. It would have been the only national election that I would have not voted in in my entire adult life. I'm hoping for a minority government; if Harper gets full clearance and becomes our next Prime Minister, I fear we'll be joining the States next year when it attacks Iran, and begins yet another unwanted and wasteful war. Why hasn't the Bush administration been charged with war crimes over starting a war in Iraq on false premises? Oh, I am charging at the bit tonight...

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:52 PM

    How come mullahs are provoking war

    mynewsbot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. anon: a complex issue, at the heart of which may be black gold. I am proud of Canada for passing on the past two wars, but that was Chretien, who simply said, "No."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:50 PM

    It isn't oil. The Arab states reap enormous profits from selling it so it makes absolutely no sense for the Islamofascists to preach the hate and bigotry that they promote. If the remarks made by the Iranian president of late don't raise your eyebrows just a little bit you'd better check your pulse...your dead!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. steve, I have to admit after Afghanistan and then Iraq, which have been so very difficult, I haven't been following the Iran conflagration as closely as I should be. I'm positive the US is going to attack yet another country. It feels like a sickness, that this most likely will happen. The shrouds and webs of lies and deceptions that we've seen so far leave me with little faith in any substantial truth to any claims made concerning Iran. I've already been chastised over the error of the oil... but it doesn't change my wish that things not lead where they are leading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, Brenda; I think this is madness. Wherever the truth lies -- and at this rate I don't expect to find it from whatever side -- I believe we have entered into a momentum that takes on a life of its own and creates its own consequences.

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...