Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Authors Authoring Our Lives

"If, seated on high, amidst the authors of our destinies, we could read the book of our life. Which is written. Already written, finished. But we shall never know our story. We are only characters in it. And to think that there will be readers of our book. They will open it. And they'll make fun of the murkiness of our night. Says the author~" Helene Cixious, "Stigmata."


Nothing grand like positing a Divine other as author of our lives, or even ourselves: history is the author of our lives. History creates the book of our lives, where we only live as a character, and even then a character in what becomes our own story, a story that we can never fully know, either. If we remain anonymous bearers of history, our lack of individuality is our story. And nothing is ever 'settled,' the process of revision after revision continues. Perhaps history is an author who never finishes the story that is written and rewritten with each successive generation. There is no final Word, the author cannot be absolutist but only contextual, forever revising the book, the canon, made up of our individual transcripts where we are characters living in a story we can't ever fully know the design of.

I am a lady of hidden books, filing cabinet drawers of journals, piled up, copious writing through the years, and an abrupt end, sudden stopping. Slowly pushing into the stream of life, like here, where we all write our lives, thoughts, concerns, happenings, where we can overhear each other think, revealing those interior places, those places where we posit our lives against the anonymity of history, authoring ourselves in halting, flowing, coagulating, humorous, descriptive sentences of every kind, on every topic, a veritable cornucopia, our offerings. Writing into the future, yesterday's blog gone, like the news, an alphabetic rubble for the future historian to sift through. And some of our stories will remain, the fickle heart of history being what it is, for awhile, of our coming to writing. And then our lives will be placed in the context of. On this inky lonely night without my children, there is comfort in this, knowing that I cannot know the book of my life even while I am writing it.

4 comments:

  1. "On this inky lonely night..." What a beautiful phrase to give birth to as you continued to live your moment! A phrase that will find its own history...without you. I think that's similar to letting your chidren go. Letting them find their own way. I think words and history operate the same way. I say that because in your post, you help me to understand that. And today...I accept that. Thank you Brenda...for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lhombre, you know, I didn't connect how our writing/art are also our 'children' what we give birth to until I read your comment! Yes, it is all of a whole, isn't it. History, us, our children, our words. Thank you, as ever, for your thoughtful, kind and generous responses. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have time only to say that I've read this post again and again, and each time I find it again as powerful for me as it had been the time before. I will be writing you into the work I do before the semester is finished. I am always moved by the ripples, the ripples, the movement and touches - one life pushing another into ever-widening circles, discovery, the place of the next. Ok... wandering, and my time is up, and I'll leave you to make what you will of this jumble of words, but here is "thanks" before I go. -mg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Mary, yes, we are all touching each other in extraordinary ways, and the ripples are spreading into "ever-widening circles"... without this medium, that's given us voice, we'd never have met, nor been moved and inspired by each other. Many thanks *for* you, honey- hugs xo

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...