Sunday, July 24, 2005

Marriage Mandala

Ok, it would make an interesting tatoo. I painted it 20 years ago when I had a dreadfully sore throat and fever. I remember lying in bed, sipping codeine-laced cough syrup straight from the bottle, journal on my knees, acrylics beside me, painting. I was into snakes and mandalas, just coming out of my Jungian stage. It's a small image. Then I got married that year and used it as the image for our Wedding Invitations. My sculptor friend was the only one who remarked on it, and he said, "O my g-d! For a wedding?" C'mon, dear old friend, two ouroboros' are intertwined, the serpents are kissing and forming a heart, there's a wishing star of blessing and guidance, a pearl or moon holding the secret of wisdom, and flames of passion leaping out of the sun... Sigh. Did the marriage last, well, no, but that's beside the point.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
"Marriage Mandala" ©1985 by Brenda Clews

Ouroboros: a circular symbol or a snake or dragon devouring its tail, standing for infinity or wholeness.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I found you through Via Negativa.

    I've perused only a few entries here, but they make me think of a wonderful calendar called We'Moon
    http://www.wemoon.ws/

    Was nodding at all the yoni-material and your mention of Judy Chicago -- I've had a copy of The Dinner Party for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, wonderful! It's always a pleasure to meet other creative women and men, which the blogosphere seems to offer in abundance... I'll start dropping by, add you to my list. That's my favourite calendar too. *hugs!

    ReplyDelete

A Pulsing Imagination - Ray Clews' Paintings

A video of some of my late brother Ray's paintings and poems I wrote for them. Direct link: https://youtu.be/V8iZyORoU9E ___